Early Childhood Education Jobs in South Dakota
South Dakota’s commitment to education and its teachers is clear. Significant salary increases in the Mount Rushmore State in recent years – largely as a result of the Blue Ribbon task force and resulting legislation in 2016 – have allowed the state’s teachers to make a gradual climb toward higher salaries.
And while salaries among early childhood educators here still have a ways to go, state plans to continue this upward salary trajectory will allow South Dakota to become more regionally and nationally competitive, something that could help the state attract and retain even more talented and dedicated early childhood educators.
- Rasmussen College - Online 9-month ECE Certificate, Online Bachelor’s in ECE Leadership
USC Rossier - Online Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- Fordham University - Online Master of Science in Teaching
- USC - Master's in School Counseling Online
- NYU - Master’s Degree in School Counseling Online
- Vanderbilt Peabody College - Online Master’s with School Counseling
- Capella University - Online Master's in Early Childhood Education
- Concordia University - Online MEd in Curriculum & Instruction in Early Childhood Education
South Dakota Salary Rankings
in the US for Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare
in the US for Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education
Early Childhood Jobs in South Dakota
Education administrators working in South Dakota’s preschools are among the top earners, with an average salary of $55,490, which works out to more than $2,000 above the national average.
|Occupation||Total Employed||Median Annual Salary||% of US Median|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||1,750||$40,030||80%|
|Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education||1,260||$30,860||90%|
|Special Education Teachers, Kindergarten and Elementary School||690||$43,760||69%|
|Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education||640||$41,900||72%|
|Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare||100||$55,490||103%|
|= Salary below nat’l. avg. = Salary above nat’l. avg.|
Childcare Workers – There are 2,660 childcare workers in South Dakota. These professionals earn an average salary of $21,330.
Child, Family, and School Social Workers – South Dakota’s 1,750 child, family, and school social workers earn an average of $40,030. The number of jobs in this field are expected to increase by an impressive 16% through 2026.
Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education – The state’s 640 kindergarten teachers earn an average salary of $41,900.
Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education – The 1,460 preschool teachers in South Dakota earn an average salary of $30,860. There are more than twice the number of preschool teachers as kindergarten teachers here.
Special Education Teachers – Kindergarten and Elementary School – South Dakota’s 690 special education teachers in kindergarten and elementary school settings earn an average of $43,760. Exciting job prospects lie ahead for these professionals, thanks to a projected job growth rate of 8% through 2026.
Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare – There are 100 education administrators employed in South Dakota. These professionals earn an average salary of $55,490 – that’s $2,000 more than the national average.
Special Education Teachers, Preschool – There are 50 special education teachers in preschool settings employed in South Dakota. These professionals earn $39,910 on average.
City-Level Job Stats
The top earners among South Dakota’s metro regions are kindergarten and elementary school special ed teachers in the Sioux City region, whose average salary is $53,500. However, education administrators in preschool and childcare settings in the Sioux Falls region are close behind, earning an average of $52,860.
- Sioux Falls – 590 licensed teachers with an average salary of $30,800
- Rapid City – 190 licensed teachers with an average salary of $29,330
- Sioux City, IA-NE-SD – 140 licensed teachers with an average salary of $29,100
- Sioux Falls – 190 licensed teachers with an average salary of $45,190
- Rapid City – 90 licensed teachers with an average salary of $41,550
- Sioux City, IA-NE-SD – 30 licensed teachers with an average salary of $46,650
Special Education Teachers – Kindergarten and Elementary School
- Sioux Falls – 200 licensed teachers with an average salary of $47,320
- Rapid City – 120 licensed teachers with an average salary of $44,710
- Sioux City, IA-NE-SD – 80 licensed teachers with an average salary of $53,500
Education Administrators – Preschool and Childcare
- Sioux Falls – 50 administrators with an average salary of $52,860
- Sioux City, IA-NE-SD – average salary of $45,880
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed April 2019] https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_sd.htm#25-0000.
BLS salary data represents state and MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) average and median earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.