Early Childhood Education Jobs in Mississippi
Mississippi is a great place for quality of life if you plan to get a job in early childhood education. Vast expanses of forest and rivers make it an outdoor playground you can take advantage of anytime you’re not at work. Low cost of living expenses will stretch your salary a long way, and a few exceptional colleges and universities here make the state more of a hub for higher learning than outsiders might expect.
- Rasmussen College - Online 9-month ECE Certificate, Online Bachelor’s in ECE Leadership
USC Rossier - Online Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- Fordham University - Online Master of Science in Teaching
- USC - Master's in School Counseling Online
- NYU - Master’s Degree in School Counseling Online
- Vanderbilt Peabody College - Online Master’s with School Counseling
- Capella University - Online Master's in Early Childhood Education
- Concordia University - Online MEd in Curriculum & Instruction in Early Childhood Education
Mississippi Salary Rankings
Early Childhood Jobs in Mississippi
As a small state, you’ll find that Mississippi doesn’t have a huge number of openings in early childhood education. The future looks bright, however, with the number of positions in most categories expanding by 5 percent or more in the next few years.
|Occupation||Total Employed||Median Annual Salary||% of US Median|
|Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education||2,820||$27,940||81%|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||2,700||$35,100||71%|
|Special Education Teachers, Kindergarten and Elementary School||2,300||$46,590||74%|
|Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education||1,140||$43,110||74%|
|= Salary below nat’l. avg. = Salary above nat’l. avg.|
Childcare Workers – The 6,530 childcare workers in Mississippi make an average of $19,310. The number of positions is expected to grow to a whopping 11,850 through 2026.
Child, Family, and School Social Workers – There are 2,700 social workers in the child, family, and school sector. They make an average of $35,100, and openings will expand by more than 7 percent over the next 7 years.
Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education – There are only 1,140 kindergarten teachers in the state, making an average annual salary of $43,110, but don’t worry… the number of openings is expected to jump by 9 percent through 2026.
Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education – 2,820 people work as preschool teachers in Mississippi, making an average salary of $27,940. The number of jobs for preschool teachers will expand by about 5 percent by 2026.
Special Education Teachers, Kindergarten and Elementary School – There are 2,300 special education teachers working at the kindergarten and elementary level. Those numbers are supposed to grown by around 7 percent by 2026, though.
Special Education Teachers, Preschool and Childcare – Only 40 teachers statewide work in special education at the preschool level. This small and very important group of specialists earn an average annual salary of $46,590.
Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare – There are 380 education administrators in Mississippi working at the preschool level with an average salary of $43,190. Around a 5 percent bump in the number of jobs is expected by 2026.
City-Level Job Stats
There are excellent positions open in every part of Mississippi for early childhood educators, but the area along the Tennessee border in the Memphis suburbs will generally be your best bet for both the greatest number of openings and some of the highest salaries in the state.
- Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, MS – 220 teachers with a median annual salary of $34,000
- Hattiesburg, MS – Median annual salary of $19,500
- Jackson, MS – 810 teachers with a median annual salary of $23,450
- Memphis, TN-MS-AR – 1,260 teachers with a median annual salary of $27,710
- Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, MS – 190 teachers with a median annual salary of $45,760
- Jackson, MS – 270 teachers with a median annual salary of $40,900
- Memphis, TN-MS-AR – 620 teachers with a median annual salary of $55,340
Special Education Teachers – Kindergarten and Elementary School
- Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, MS – 250 teachers with a median annual salary of $47,370
- Hattiesburg, MS – 130 teachers with a median annual salary of $44,770
- Jackson, MS – 330 teachers with a median annual salary of $44,350
- Memphis, TN-MS-AR – 1,570 teachers with a medial annual salary of $56,410
Education Administrators – Preschool and Childcare
- Hattiesburg, MS – 30 administrators with a median annual salary of $30,410
- Jackson, MS – 130 administrators with a median annual salary of $30,970
- Memphis, TN-MS-AR – 200 administrators with a median annual salary of $59,770
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed April 2019] https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ms.htm#25-0000.
BLS salary data represents state and MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) average and median earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.