Early Childhood Education Jobs in Louisiana
While state salary stats aren’t often kind to early childhood educators in the Deep South, particularly when compared to national averages, it’s all quite relative when considering that the cost of living tends to be much lower in this part of the country. Often times, the best way to make a fair assessment is to compare average salaries between states in the same region.
This holds true in Louisiana, where salaries for early childhood education professionals, shine bright when compared to salaries in neighboring states. For example, the average salary for preschool teachers in Louisiana is $32,290 – that’s well above the average for both Mississippi ($27,940) and Oklahoma ($29,310).
- Rasmussen College - Online 9-month ECE Certificate, Online Bachelor’s in ECE Leadership
USC Rossier - Online Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- Fordham University - Online Master of Science in Teaching
- USC - Master's in School Counseling Online
- NYU - Master’s Degree in School Counseling Online
- Vanderbilt Peabody College - Online Master’s with School Counseling
- Capella University - Online Master's in Early Childhood Education
- Concordia University - Online MEd in Curriculum & Instruction in Early Childhood Education
Louisiana Salary Rankings
in the US for Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education
in the US for Special Education Teachers, Preschool
in the US for Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
in the US for Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare
Early Childhood Jobs in Louisiana
Child, family and school social workers earn a top spot among professionals working within the sphere of early childhood education in the Bayou State with salaries that exceed the national average. Kindergarten teachers, special ed teachers at the preschool and elementary school levels, and education administrators all make the grade with average salaries that land between $45000-$50,000.
|Occupation||Total Employed||Median Annual Salary||% of US Median|
|Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education||820||$50,540||87%|
|Special Education Teachers, Kindergarten and Elementary School||3,990||$50,300||80%|
|Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education||1,980||$32,290||94%|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||620||$50,690||102%|
|Special Education Teachers, Preschool||530||$49,480||80%|
|Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare||280||$45,010||83%|
|= Salary below nat’l. avg. = Salary above nat’l. avg.|
Childcare Workers – There are 8,840 childcare workers employed in Louisiana, and these professionals earn an average of $19,820. Thanks to a projected increase of 7% in the number of jobs expected to open up through 2026, the future looks bright for a career in childcare.
Child, Family, and School Social Workers – Louisiana’s 620 child, family, and school social workers earn an average salary of $50,690 – that’s about $1,000 higher than the national average.
Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education – There are 820 kindergarten teachers working in Louisiana. These education professionals earn an average salary of $50,540.
Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education – Louisiana is home to 1,980 preschool teachers – that’s more than double the number of kindergarten teachers. Jobs for preschool teachers pay an average salary of $32,290.
Special Education Teachers – Kindergarten and Elementary School – Louisiana’s 3,990 special education teachers at the kindergarten and elementary school level earn an annual salary of $50,300. Special education teachers at this level far surpass their colleagues at the preschool level, outnumbering them by more than 3,400.
Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare – There are 280 education administrators working in Louisiana’s preschools and childcare settings earning an average salary of $45,010. The number of jobs in this field in the coming years is impressive, with the number of jobs projected to rise by 11% through 2026.
Special Education Teachers, Preschool – There are 530 special education teachers in preschool settings working in Louisiana, and these professionals earn an average salary of $49,480. Demand for these professionals is expected to remain strong in the coming years, with the number of jobs rising 7% through 2026.
City-Level Job Stats
There is little consistency when it comes to where the top earners in early childhood education are located in Louisiana. For example, preschool teachers in the Monroe area earn an average salary of $45,430, which is 11,000 more than their closest competitor, Shreveport-Bossier City, where they earn $34,520 on average.
But Shreveport-Bossier city takes the lead when it comes to kindergarten teacher average salaries, beating out the state’s other metro regions by nearly $6,000.
- New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner – 770 licensed teachers with an average salary of $31,050
- Baton Rouge –average salary of $30,730
- Shreveport-Bossier City – 230 licensed teachers with an average salary of $34,520
- Lafayette – 280 licensed teachers with an average salary of $32,570
- Monroe –50 licensed teachers with an average salary of $45,430
- New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner – 240 licensed teachers with an average salary of $52,020
- Baton Rouge – 180 licensed teachers with an average salary of $51,370
- Shreveport-Bossier City – 60 licensed teachers with an average salary of $56,220
- Monroe – 100 licensed teachers with an average salary of $50,880
Special Education Teachers – Preschool
- New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner – 100 licensed teachers with an average salary of $51,840
Special Education Teachers – Kindergarten and Elementary School
- New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner – 1,050 licensed teachers with an average salary of $51,320
- Baton Rouge – 670 licensed teachers with an average salary of $51,740
- Shreveport-Bossier City – 470 licensed teachers with an average salary of $52,380
- Lafayette – 330 licensed teachers with an average salary of $49,570
- Houma-Thibodaux – 170 licensed teachers with an average salary of $50,700
- Monroe – 170 licensed teachers with an average salary of $52,050
Education Administrators – Preschool and Childcare
- New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner – 90 licensed teachers with an average salary of $56,440
- Baton Rouge – 80 licensed teachers with an average salary of $34,610
- Shreveport-Bossier City –average salary of $36,760
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed April 2019] https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_la.htm#25-0000.
BLS salary data represents state and MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) average and median earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.