Early Childhood Education Jobs in Idaho
In March 2019, Idaho Governor Brad Little signed into law House Bill 153, which will increase starting teacher salaries by $5,000 through 2021. That’s good news for the state’s early childhood educators, who historically have earned less than the national average. But while salaries in Idaho have fallen short when compared to the national average and to neighboring states in the West, like Oregon and Washington, a lower cost of living in the Gem State means salaries here are more competitive than at first glance. There are also top earners in the category of child, family, and school social workers, who earn an average of $52,110, followed closely by kindergarten teachers, who earn, on average, $50,790.
- Rasmussen College - Online 9-month ECE Certificate, Online Bachelor’s in ECE Leadership
USC Rossier - Online Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- Fordham University - Online Master of Science in Teaching
- USC - Master's in School Counseling Online
- NYU - Master’s Degree in School Counseling Online
- Vanderbilt Peabody College - Online Master’s with School Counseling
- Capella University - Online Master's in Early Childhood Education
- Concordia University - Online MEd in Curriculum & Instruction in Early Childhood Education
Idaho Salary Rankings
in the US for Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
in the US for Childcare Workers
Early Childhood Jobs in Idaho
|Occupation||Total Employed||Median Annual Salary||% of US Median|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||1,310||$52,110||105%|
|Special Education Teachers, Kindergarten and Elementary School||810||$47,990||76%|
|Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education||1,090||$26,000||76%|
|Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education||230||$50,790||87%|
|Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare||120||$39,960||74%|
|= Salary below nat’l. avg. = Salary above nat’l. avg.|
Childcare Workers – There are 1,710 childcare workers employed in Idaho. These childcare professionals earn an average salary of $21,740. Jobs in this occupation are projected to increase by 7% through 2026.
Child, Family, and School Social Workers – Idaho’s 1,310 child, family, and school social workers earn an average salary of $52,110, or about $3,000 more than the national average.
Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education – There are 230 kindergarten teachers employed in Idaho. These professionals earn an average salary of $50,790.
Special Education Teachers – Kindergarten and Elementary School –Idaho’s 810 special education teachers in kindergarten and elementary school settings earn an average salary of $47,990. Jobs in this field are projected to increase by 8% through 2026, resulting in ample professional opportunities for the foreseeable future.
Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare – There are 120 education administrators working in Idaho, and these professionals earn, on average, $39,960. Jobs in this highly specialized educational field are expected to increase by 11% through 2026, which is much higher than the national job growth average of 7%.
City-Level Job Stats
While Idaho Falls leads the state’s metropolitan regions for preschool teacher salaries, it falls short when it comes to salaries for special education teachers in kindergarten and elementary schools; instead, the Boise City and Lewiston metropolitan areas are where you can find the top salaries for these professionals.
- Boise City – 530 licensed teachers with an average salary of $23,930
- Logan, UT-ID – average salary of $32,170
- Lewiston, ID-WA – 90 licensed teachers with an average salary of $27,230
- Idaho Falls –average salary of $29,620
- Pocatello – 70 licensed teachers with an average salary of $21,820
Special Education Teachers – Kindergarten and Elementary School
- Boise City – 330 licensed teachers with an average salary of $47,880
- Logan, UT-ID – average salary of $44,460
- Lewiston, ID-WA – 80 licensed teachers with an average salary of $48,820
- Idaho Falls –average salary of $34,700
Education Administrators – Preschool and Childcare
- Boise City – 60 licensed teachers with an average salary of $39,140
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed April 2019] https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_id.htm#25-0000.
BLS salary data represents state and MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) average and median earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.