Early Childhood Education Jobs in Connecticut
Connecticut – It’s one of the wealthiest states in the nation, and this wealth translates to an educational system that produces results in the form of strong student outcomes. In fact, Connecticut’s investments in public education are among the highest seen anywhere, and the state continues to rank among the top in the nation for its expenditure on students. It comes as no surprise then that salaries for Connecticut’s early childhood education professionals also come out on top.
- Rasmussen College - Online 9-month ECE Certificate, Online Bachelor’s in ECE Leadership
USC Rossier - Online Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- Fordham University - Online Master of Science in Teaching
- USC - Master's in School Counseling Online
- NYU - Master’s Degree in School Counseling Online
- Vanderbilt Peabody College - Online Master’s with School Counseling
- Capella University - Online Master's in Early Childhood Education
- Concordia University - Online MEd in Curriculum & Instruction in Early Childhood Education
Connecticut Salary Rankings
in the US for Special Education Teachers, Kindergarten and Elementary School
in the US for Special Education Teachers, Preschool
in the US for Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
in the US for Childcare Workers
in the US for Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education
in the US for Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare
Early Childhood Jobs in Connecticut
Salaries for jobs within the early childhood education sphere in Connecticut beat out the national average across the board. In nearly all occupational categories, Connecticut is ranked among the top five states in the nation for teacher pay.
|Occupation||Total Employed||Median Annual Salary||% of US Median|
|Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education||5,690||$43,350||126%|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||5,370||$69,520||140%|
|Special Education Teachers, Kindergarten and Elementary School||2,860||$76,780||122%|
|Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education||1,450||$77,220||132%|
|Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare||720||$60,700||112%|
|Special Education Teachers, Preschool||180||$68,130||111%|
|= Salary below nat’l. avg. = Salary above nat’l. avg.|
Childcare Workers – There are 9,490 childcare workers in Connecticut earning an annual average salary of $27,400, or about $3,000 more than the national average.
Child, Family, and School Social Workers – The 5,370 child, family, and school social workers in Connecticut earn an annual salary of $69,520 – nearly $20,000 more than the national average. In this category, Connecticut is ranked second in the nation in terms of annual salary, behind only Washington D.C.
Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education – Connecticut’s kindergarten teachers make up a contingent that is 1,450 strong. The annual average salary for these professionals is $77,220, nearly $20,000 more than the national average, ranking Connecticut second in the nation for this category.
Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education – Preschool teacher jobs in Connecticut pay an average salary of $43,350, which is about $9,000 more than the national average. Connecticut’s preschool teachers also hold the number two spot in terms of national salary rankings, behind only New York.
Special Education Teachers – Kindergarten and Elementary School – Special education teachers in kindergarten and elementary school settings earn a salary of $76,780, or about $13,000 more than the national average. The 2,860 professionals in this category are ranked fifth in the nation in terms of average salary.
Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare – Connecticut’s education administrators in preschool and childcare settings earn an annual average salary of $60,700. That’s $6,000 more than the national average. Connecticut’s preschool administrators are ranked third in the nation in terms of average pay. There are 720 administrators currently working in Connecticut’s preschool and childcare settings.
Special Education Teachers, Preschool – Special education teachers in preschool settings in Connecticut earn about $10,000 more than the national average – $68,130 versus the national average of $58,390. The 180 specialists working in these jobs are ranked fourth in the nation in terms of average salary.
City-Level Job Stats
With teachers, administrators and others in the early childhood education sphere earning salaries that consistently come in above the national average as seen when looking at it from the state level, it’s only natural to expect the figures in specific cities in the state to be equally impressive. For example, special education specialists in preschool settings in the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk metro region are ranked second in the nation for pay, while special education teachers in Danbury’s kindergarten and elementary schools are ranked fourth.
- Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT 1,700 $45,410
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT 1,960 $44,790
- Springfield, MA-CT 1,310 $39,930
- New Haven, CT 910 $37,830
- Norwich-New London, CT-RI 250 $40,120
- Worcester, MA-CT 740 $40,580
- Waterbury, CT 370 $44,380
- Danbury, CT $37,150
- Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT 420 $76,530
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT 380 $79,670
- Springfield, MA-CT 310 $80,880
- New Haven, CT 310 $78,480
- Norwich-New London, CT-RI 110 $72,150
- Worcester, MA-CT 240 $69,160
- Waterbury, CT 100 $70,600
- Danbury, CT 70 $77,370
Special Education Teachers – Preschool
- Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT 60 $63,350
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT 50 $63,800
- Springfield, MA-CT 80 $87,610
- Worcester, MA-CT 140 $60,550
Special Education Teachers – Kindergarten and Elementary School
- Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT 740 $79,020
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT 930 $77,040
- Springfield, MA-CT 80 $87,610
- New Haven, CT 610 $76,700
- Norwich-New London, CT-RI 160 $69,960
- Worcester, MA-CT 480 $71,550
- Waterbury, CT 160 $69,820
- Danbury, CT 80 $87,950
Education Administrators – Preschool and Childcare
- Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT 220 $67,240
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT 210 $61,550
- Springfield, MA-CT 190 $55,360
- New Haven, CT 100 $60,370
- Norwich-New London, CT-RI 60 $43,310
- Worcester, MA-CT 180 $55,360
- Waterbury, CT 60 $63,320
- Danbury, CT $51,100
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed April 2019] https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ct.htm#25-0000.
BLS salary data represents state and MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) average and median earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.